Best thing I did for work this year: Got day-drunk with Robyn Best thing I stopped talking about and actually did this year: Started a podcast
Best thing an editor at a women's magazine said to me this year: "That's how big our feature well is. Eight pages." (Actually the worst thing. She wasn't kidding.)
Best vehicle I almost threw up on this year: A metal boat on a lake in Guatemala Best thing I imported to the United States this year: My boyfriend
Best self-indulgent thing I chose not to tweet this year: "Just realized this thrifted Chico's jacket I'm wearing is basically a drug rug for moms."
Best thing I smelled this year: The inside of a whiskey distillery
Best recipe I perfected this year: Miso-wasabi-ginger deviled eggs
Best cartoon depiction of me this year: This poster of me as the "Haters gonna hate" gif guy
*I do this annually. Some years are funnier than others.
Our Collective 2015 To-Do List:
- Have a housewarming party
- "A friend did her taxes on my computer in March and I have yet to send her the PDF of her return papers.
- Close four bank accounts/cancel 1 credit card"
- Rewax Barbour jacket
- Get a bathroom mirror ("I’ve lived in my flat for 18 months. I live by myself, so I just go to my bedroom when I want to look in the mirror. Guests don’t agree with this policy.")
- "Ugh, I have been staring at 'Get your damn will done' on my to do list since I found out I was pregnant in October... of 2013.
- Buy ant killer. "They are invading my apartment in NYC."
- "Renew my drivers license! It's been expired since July."
- Run a marathon. Pay off credit cards.
- Do a home inventory. "I have been living in my home for eight years now."
- Frame and hang 6 or 8 AMAZING pieces of art.
- Buy myself a diva cup.
- Figure out iPhone, storage and cloud issues.
- Sell clothes to consignment ("been riding in my trunk for two months and counting.")
- STOP BEING ATTRACTED TO BROKEN PEOPLE.
- Get watch batteries replaced. "My watch hasn't worked in a year…"
- "Frame my diploma. I graduated in 2008."
This is a compilation of your replies to this newsletter. Guys, I think we can do it. 2015 is the year we finally get all of this stuff done. And even if we do, don't worry, I'm sure we'll find even more things to feel bad about not doing.
A little note:
Thanks to each and every one of you for opening this newsletter. And thanks for singing its praises to your friends and followers. You are the best. There are a few changes in store for the coming year. All good things, I promise. Before you get any ideas, no, I will not be taking this thing daily. Weekly is just the right speed. Stay tuned.
"Newsletters that are worth $6m in my <3." -Melanie Ehrenkranz. This is so sweet. But for real, 2K15 FINANCIAL GOAL: Make this thing worth $6m in cold hard American dollars.
"You make deployed life so much more tolerable." -Brent Godfrey. I have never felt more like a patriot.
"I don't know how you do it, but every week you manage to squeeze the very best out of the internet." -Lenae Day. I have a complex extraction and filtering method.
"You are perfection and so is your newsletter." -Jill Tregor. I'm blushing.
"Yours is the only newsletter I allow in my inbox." -Alyssa. Ooooh, keeping it exclusive.